Plate twists, also known as Russian twists, are a strength training exercise that targets the oblique muscles, which are located on the sides of the abdomen.
To perform a plate twist:
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent and your feet flat on the ground. Hold a weight plate or medicine ball with both hands in front of your chest.
- Engage your core and lean back slightly, keeping your back straight and your feet firmly planted on the ground.
- Slowly twist your upper body to the right, bringing the weight plate or medicine ball towards the ground on the right side of your body.
- Pause briefly at the bottom of the movement and then slowly twist your upper body to the left, bringing the weight plate or medicine ball towards the ground on the left side of your body.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions, continuing to alternate sides with each twist.
It is important to keep your movements slow and controlled and to engage your core throughout the exercise to maximize the benefits. You can also vary the difficulty of the exercise by using a heavier weight plate or medicine ball or by holding the weight in only one hand. Make sure to keep your feet firmly planted on the ground and avoid leaning too far back or arching your back to maintain proper form.