- Pick up a dumbbell and either stand up straight or sit on a utility bench with a bac support while holding the dumbbells erect on top of your thighs.
- Raise the dumbbell to shoulder height by cleaning it up. By holding on to the waist, clutching a permanent surface, or keeping the other hand completely extended to the side.
- Rotate your wrist so that your hand’s palm is facing forward. Your starting point is here.
- Lift the dumbbell up until your arm is fully extended as you exhale.
- Slowly lower yourself back to the beginning position as you inhale after a second pause.
- Continue with the prescribed number of repetitions before switching arms.
Variations: The exercise can be done either standing or seated on a standard, flat bench.
The version given is the suggested one for those who have lower back issues.