The close grip barbell bench press is a strength training exercise that targets the triceps, shoulders, and chest muscles. To perform the exercise, you will need a barbell and a flat bench.
- Start by lying on your back on the bench with your feet firmly planted on the ground.
- Grasp the barbell with a close grip (hands closer together than shoulder-width apart) using an overhand grip.
- Lift the barbell off the rack and lower it to your chest.
- Pause for a moment, then press the barbell back up to the starting position, fully extending your arms.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
It’s important to maintain good form while performing the close grip barbell bench press. Keep your elbows close to your body and your back flat on the bench. Avoid arching your back or bouncing the bar off your chest. Use a weight that allows you to complete the desired number of repetitions with good form.
As with any exercise, it’s important to warm up properly before performing the close grip barbell bench press. This can help prevent injury and improve your performance. You can also vary the grip width and hand position to target different muscle groups and add variety to your workouts.